tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 02 11:07:39 1998

Re: KLBC: ram Hurgh

According to Christiane Scharf:

> ja' Qov:
>
> > }ram
> > }So'  Hoch Hov
> >
> > So' is "hide" not "be hidden."  Fine if you are, as poetry certainly permits
> > you to, saying that the stars have some volition in the matter. (My very
> > first KLBC turned into an argument about whether {So'} or {So''egh} was
> > correct here. Canon on page 69 says it's just fine).
>
> "hide" is exactly what I wanted. Each star hides. The moonlight is
> absent. They keep away. They don't want to be there. It is not just by
> any coincidence that you can't see them.

The point here is whether "hide" can be used transitively (I
hide my emotions) or intransitively (When threatened, I hide).
Okrand has apparently used it both ways:

So' - hide, cloak (v.t. & v.i.) {TKW page 182} {TKD page 69}

Unfortunately, I can't access these references at this time to
confirm them and I don't have the quotes in my database.

> > Qov     [email protected]
> > Beginners' Grammarian
>
>   HovqIj

charghwI'