tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 02 05:41:41 1998

RE: *Iraq* noHHey

jIvumtaHqu'mo' jIDoy' 'ej jIqej. jIvIng vIneH 'ej jIbep vIneH. jIQub
bIneHbe' 'ej jIpab vIneHbe'. jIbuDlaw'. jItlhIjQo'. roD tlhIngan Hol pab
vIpabqangchu', 'ach rut jIbIv vIneH.

SKI: pagh is grouchy.

pagh

ghItlh SuStel:

> >*Iraq* HIv *US* 'e' nabtaHvIS
> >(*1), loQ QobchoH ghu'Daj.
>
> >*1 - I *refuse* to abide by the "obscure rule" when it prevents me
> from
> >putting a {-vIS} on a verb in a SAO construction just because I can't
> >have a {-taH}. Suggest an alternative or deal with it.
>
> *You* deal with it: it's not an "obscure" rule, it's a rule which is
> overlooked by many and must be reckoned with whether you like it or
> not.
>
> Three alternatives:
>
> (1) *Iraq* HIvmeH *US* nabtaHvIS *US*, loQ QobchoH be'nalwI' ghu'.
>
> "While the US is planning."  This is legit.  What is the purpose of
> the
> planning?  "In order for the US to attack Iraq."
>
> (2) *Iraq* HIvtaH *US* 'e' nab *US*.  nabtaHvIS, loQ QobchoH be'nalwI'
> ghu'.
>
> TKD 6.2.5. says that in cases where a Type 7 suffix would be
> appropriate on
> the second verb of the SAO, it "migrates" over to the first one, and
> the
> meaning is intact.
>
> Here, the extra {nabtaHvIS} could be left out, and the sentence would
> still
> be clear.
>
> (3) *Iraq* HIvtaH *US* 'e' nabmo' *US*, loQ QobchoH be'nalwI' ghu'.
>
> This gives more of a cause-and-effect feeling, if that's what you
> intended.
>
> Popular opinion on this list seems to be "go ahead and ignore the
> rule."  I
> find this unacceptable.  Learn to integrate in just as you do every
> other
> technicality of the language.  I have.  I cringe every time I see an
> illegal
> Type 7 suffix, because I have trained myself not to do it, and to look
> for
> alternative ways to express such a thing.  It's really not hard;
> there's no
> need to resort to illegal constructions.
>
> SuStel
> Stardate 98156.7

Back to archive top level