tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 29 15:22:20 1998

Re: Question from a newbie

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Paul Hahn wrote:

>However, I'm a bit confused by one thing: MO calls the tlhIngan scale
>nonatonic (i.e. nine tones to the octave), but what he then actually
>describes is an _octa_tonic scale, since the ninth note duplicates the
>first.  Has anybody ever asked him to clarify this?  Or should I just go
>by the description and chalk up the incorrect use of the term
>"nonatonic" to MO's unfamiliarity with standard musical usage?

charghwI' (Will Martin) asked Marc Okrand about this on the old MSN Expert
Forum, which I've appended.  Note that the two {yu}mey are indeed a "nonave"
apart.

Unfortunately, I did not think to save Will's post until it was too late, so
I don't know what "version" Okrand approved.  charghwI', do you still have
your original post?

Voragh