tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 29 15:02:49 1998

Re: KLBC - QoQ Sud 'ej Hurgh

---Burt Clawson  wrote:

> -- KLBC - QoQ SuD 'ej Hurgh
>
> mutIchba' Jaes!
>
> qablIj mu'angchugh, maHay'chu' 'ej meSchuSmeymaj DIchu'chu'Ha'.
>
> I'm not real confident in this last sentence:  What I'm trying to
say is
> "If he will accept my challenge (show me his face), we will duel to
the
> death by playing our meSchuS badly."  >:)

The most obvious problem is a misplaced verb suffix.  {-Ha'} always
goes immediately after the verb.

The Klingon doesn't imply that the meSchuSmey are to be the
instruments of death.  Klingon doesn't have a straightforward
instrumental construction to say that something is done "by means of"
"using" or "with" a tool, so you'll have to be more explicit.  Try "we
will use our meSchuSmey to kill each other" or "the duelling weapons
will be meSchuSmey."

> 'ej DaH vay'vaD pImqu':

Ugh.  the translation doesn't work.  I thought for a while that this
was referring to the accordians and you had meant nIb instead of pIm,
i.e. for most people bad meSchuS playing is identical to any other kind.

This says "and now, for the benefit of someone/something,
it/he/she/they is/are quite different."

Your intended meaning is better expressed with
{DaH vay' pImchu' muchlu'} or, in Klingon fashion, simply by changing
the subject.

> > pay' ponglIj mung vItu'.  jIHagh.
> I suddenly noticed the origin of your name.  I laugh.
>
> > HItIchQo'!  not ghem vInIHpu'bogh vIghup.  ghem vInIHta'DI',
> > vItIvqu'meH QIt vISop.
> Don't insult me!  Never have I failed to swallow a midnight snack
that I
> stole.

The "never failed" isn't there.  I just said "I never swallow."  I
suppose I do swallow food I eat eventually, but just to say "swallow a
snack" implies to me some haste, a lack of chewing. :)  I guess I
meant, {not vIghup neH}.

Look at the aspects. This could be ...

I never swallow midnight snacks that I have stolen.
I will never swallow a m.s I have stolen.
I never swallowed a m.s that I had stolen.

I wasn't thinking of a particular tense when I wrote that, so I'd
probably prefer the first translation.
The stealing is to be one time step longer ago than the swallowing.
Your translation has that backwards.

> When I stole the midnight snack, I ate it slowly and > thoroughly
> enjoyed it.

Again, the difference in aspect of the two verbs was intended.

When I have stolen a m.s. I eat it slowly in order to _enjoy_ it.
When I had stolen a m.s. I ate it slowly ...
When I have stolen a m.s. I will eat it slowly ...

If I wanted to say "enjoy thouroughly" I'd use {-chu'}. {-qu'} merely
emphasizes, without changing the quality the way {-chu'} does.

> > QoQvaD jIjatlhlaHbe'qu'.
> I really can't speak for the music.
> jIbomDI' Hagh Hoch 'ej bomtaHvIS
> > latlh, mu'mey neH vIQoy.  Dochmey law' yajlaH yabwIj 'ach
> > jIHvaD pegh'a' 'oH QoQ'e'.

> Everyone laughs when I sing and
> while another sings, I listen to the words only.  My
> mind can understand
> many things, but music is a big secret to me.

English has richer vocabulary to render pegh'a'.  "Mystery" or
"enigma" perhaps.