tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 29 14:30:01 1998

Re: KLBC: ngotlhwI' ghom

[email protected] wrote:

> I'm sorry. That post should have been marked > KLBC. Here's the text
of it
> again, with the (extremely) appropriate subject line.

> > *SciFi WorldCon*Daq vaghmaH javDIch jaH'a' > >vay'?

The ordinal number, like an adjective (see section 4.4) becomes part
of the noun when the noun takes a type 5 suffix. This isn't in TKD,
but Marc Okrand has written of {qep'a' wejDIchDaq}.

> >*Baltimore*Daq *August*
> jaj
> >  vaghDIch jIpaw 'ej *August* jaj HutDIch jItlheD.
> > pa' tlhIngan Hol jatlhbogh vay' ghaHtaHchugh, > > chaq
maqIHchuqlaH.

You're trying to say "If there will be someone there who speaks
Klingon, maybe we can meet."

{tlhIngan Hol jatlhbogh vay'} is quite correct for "someone who speaks
Klingon" and then you can use it in the sentence as a noun.  But
what's going on here?  I'  collapse the reative clause to its head
noun {vay'} just so we can look at the sentence ..

*{pa' vay' ghaHchugh}

Does this seem like a valid construction to you?  What sort of
sentence are you trying to make here?  I suspect you've either lost
track of the syntax because it was masked by the relative clause, or
you're looking at pronoun as to be (PTB) structures like:

pa' ghaHtaHchugh - if s/he will be there
pa' ghaHchugh vay'e' - if someone will be there

and jumbling them together to an ungrammatical result.

To keep your original sentence as intact as possible, while making it
grammatical, you *could* say:

pa' ghaHtaHchugh tlhIngan Hol jatlhbogh vay''e' ...

That 'e' is doing double duty as an optional head clause marker and a
mandatory subject of PTB marker. I'd prefer you use a verb like {SaH}
or {jeS} to avoid the PTB.

> wej tlhIngan QIch vIQoypu'be'.

That implies that you have continuously heard Klingon all your days.
{wej} means "not yet" so the {-be'} is contradictory to your meaning.

qep'a' wejDIch vIghoSpa', rejmorgh vIDa.  not tlhIngan Hol jalthbejwI'
vIQoypu' 'ej wa'logh BGvaD jIjatlhpu'DI', ghogh HablI' wIlo'taHvIS,
muyajbe'.  jIqeqqa'.  Qanqor vIrI'.  muyaj 'ej vIyajlaH. jIQuchqu'choH
'ej qep'a'Daq muyaj po'wI'pu'.  loQ Huj QIchwIj 'ach vIlISlaH.

mu'rI' neHchugh taghwI' vIjatlhqangbej.  HI*e-mail* 'ej poH wIwuq.

It's not as tough as you expect to understand spoken Klingon.  No one
is really high-speed fluent, so when they pause to think, so can you.
And almost everyone has the same accent and the same English-based
vocabulary biases.  Were there real Klingons there they'd be laughing
at our accents and unintelligible to most of us.

> >  Dajbej ja'chuqmeHghach'a'.

Ouch.  That's two V9s at once.  That's more painful than other doubled
verb suffixes, for some reason.
As Voragh pointed out, {qep'a'} will do nicely here.

Speaking of qep'a', when will we see you there? :)