tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 27 21:57:50 1998

Re: KLBC: jIchegh

In a message dated 6/25/98 10:12:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> > nuqneH.
>
>  As has been pointed out, nuqneH would more properly be my response to
>  you approaching me.  Klingon simply doesn't have a salutation that
>  means "Hello."  If you want to say something in Klingon, you say it.
>  Preliminaries are discouraged.  I blame some of the nuqneH problem on
>  the flysheet of TKD where the word is introduced as being a
>  salutation, and the rest on the non-Klingon speaking Klingon RPG
>  community, where I've become inured to its use as in an exchange of
>  pleasantries.

Suits. I'll stick closer to idiomatic usage. =)

naDev vuDmey pIm vIlaDpu'.
(I have read different opinions around here.)

>  and the rest on the non-Klingon speaking Klingon RPG community, where I've
become >  inured to its use as in an exchange of pleasantries.

tlhIngan *RPG* vIQujpu'be' 'ach Daj Qujvam muja'pu' jupwI'.
(I have not played a Klingon RPG, but my friend has said this game is
interesting.)

>  chaq not bISaH, 'ach pab DaqawtaH. :)

jIHvaD mu'tay' Qatlh law' pab Qatlh puS.  not jIghItljmeH mu'ghom
vIlo'nIStaH!!
(For me, vocabulary is more difficult than grammar.  In order to write, I
always need to keep using a dictionary!!)

>  qabmey vIqawbe', 'ach naDev pIj ghaqwI'pu' vIqawlaH.

pongmey jatlhlu'bogh vIlIj 'ach pongmey ghItlhlu'bogh vIqawlaHlaw'.  rut
Do'be'bej qawlaHbe'ghach.
(I forget names which are spoken, but I seem to be able to remember names that
are written.  Inability-to-remember is certainly unfortunate sometimes.)

I used the verb *ghItlh* two different ways above, I think, but I don't know
which is, or whether both are, correct.

>  qaqawchu'be' 'ach ponglIj vIghov.

ghotpu' law' qawmoHlaw' pongwIj.
(Apparently my name reminds many people.)

I don't know how to add the concept of reminding them "about me" or "of me" to
that sentence.  Could it make sense anyway, since it was in reply to what you
said...?

Thanks for the explanations of those other grammar questions.

[reply to be finished later...]

--notjISaH

Back to archive top level