tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 26 09:57:27 1998

Re: KLBC flower

>Lothar "Khan" Irrgang wrote:
>: Is there a word for flower?  I found plants, but no flower.
>
>I know only of three:
>
>  chal       "beautiful flower which blossoms in the Klingon spring" (Sarek)
>  naHjej     "a thistle (a flower with dangerously sharp leaves) is a naHjej
>             (literally, sharp fruit)" (KGT 88). N.B. spelled neHjej in KGT
Add.
> *tlhoghnI'  night-blooming Throgni.  An odd odor reminded Worf of this
fragrant
>             Klingon flower in TNG "Angel One".
>
>{chal} appeared in Crispin's novel _Sarek_ (for which Okrand supplied some
Klingon).  "Throgni" >is listed in the Okudas' Encyclopedia, though Okrand
has never provided a tlhIngan Hol spelling; >the form {*tlhoghnI'} has been
used in some fan fiction however.

>There are other Klingon plants of course, but it is not known whether any
of them are flowering.

I forgot about the poisonous white flower used in the Klingon tea ceremony
Worf performed for Dr Pulaski in "Up The Long Ladder".  AFAIK, this plant
has never been named.  From the description of the ceremony on STC's Klingon
Database:

  The ceremony includes a chalice for each participant plus an extra one, along
  with the woody stem whose seeds and tulip-like flowers are plucked to make the
  tea.

Also, there is no general word for "flower" as a separate plant part.  For
all we know, Klingons call them "tinted leaves" *{pormey nguv}.

Voragh

Back to archive top level