tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 25 19:47:41 1998

Re: KLBC - pach puqloD

---B Clawson  wrote:

> -- KLBC - pach puqloD

pay' ponglIj mung vItu'.  jIHagh.

> 'oy'naQ vItIvpu' 'ach mu' {'e'} vIlo'laH 'e' vIghojnIS.  > HIQaH!

Simply remember that type 7 suffixes can't go just anywhere.

> tlhIngan Hol mu'tlheghmeyvam vImughta'.  bIH > vImughchu'ta''a'?

Perfective not really necessary (although not wrong) above.  Just make
sure you're not thinking of it as a past tense.

> > <verb>ta'}, and no {... 'e' <verb>lI'}.  Remember this.  rut
qawmoHmeH
> > lI' 'oy'naQ 'e' vItu'.  chaq ngervam vIDajqa'. :)
> I find that a painstick is useful.  Perhaps I will resume testing this
> theory.

You missed out part of the sentence.  "Sometimes I find a painstick a
useful reminder."  I could have said {vay' vIqawmoHmeH} - "In order
for me to make someone remember" but I left it vague the way some
canon -meH sentences are.

> > wrote the Klingon for "he needs to cut it."   Think about it.
> "pe'nIS." (snicker)

Of course
.
> > qaS.  yIyep 'ej yIbuS.
> It happens.  Be careful and concentrate on it.

qar.

> > nIbej po'wI'pu'.  po'wI' chu' luboQqangbej jatlhwI'.
> The experts watch you.  The speakers are no > > doubt willing to
assist a new expert.

"expert" or "skilled one"

> This should be interesting, an attempted sentence > using {-bogh}.
Just
> for fun, I'm trying to include three words begining > with gh, as
> suggested to someone else recently:
>
> ghorgh ghem nIHpu'bogh ghup Qov.  >:)

HItIchQo'!  not ghem vInIHpu'bogh vIghup.  ghem vInIHta'DI',
vItIvqu'meH QIt vISop.

> tlhIngan QoQ vIDajqu'.  chay' tera'ngan Qoq rur?  > > qech vIghaj:

{Daj} is "be interesting" not "be interested in."  This idea seems to
be expressed differently in many languages and non-native speakers
always get tangled up in it.  Try {jIHvaD Dajqu' QoQ}.

Klingon music has been discussed at length here, and then went off
list as it got too technical for known Klingon vocabulary.  Search for
a thread late last year with a name like yu' bIm 'egh, and write to
charghwI' if no one contacts you about the off-list discussion.

(For those who don't know: for the last several years all list
postings, except for a few occasions when the software went haywire,
are archived at /tlhIngan-Hol
Each year is subdivided by months, and there is also a search engine
that accepts regular expressions and lets you search a whole year at a
time.  It's amusing to read the early postings of people who are now
skilled, and to watch the grammarians struggle stupidly with things
beginners know now, because we have more information.)

QoQvaD jIjatlhlaHbe'qu'.  jIbomDI' Hagh Hoch 'ej bomtaHvIS latlh,
mu'mey neH vIQoy.  Dochmey law' yajlaH yabwIj 'ach jIHvaD pegh'a' 'oH
QoQ'e'.