tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 24 19:23:04 1998

Re: Klingon monocase

ja' "Anthony Appleyard" <[email protected]>:
>...What is people's experience
>of having to transmit Klingon text in a medium such as Morse Code or some
>telex codes that have only one case of letters?

When the "official" Okrand transcription is unusable for some reason,
I sometimes use the "other" common mapping of sounds to symbols: the
KLIpIqaDmey font uses upper case letters, assigning single letters to
the sounds we customarily represent with multiple Roman characters:
"C" = {ch}, "G" = {gh}, "F" = {ng}, and "X" = {tlh}.  "Q" = {Q}, of
course, so we're left with "K" = {Q}.

VAJ COVNAXVAM VIGIXKAF.  PIKAD DALO'CUG 'EJ PIKAD DALADKU'LAHCUG,
CAK DAYAJ.

>  What also if the medium used (e.g. Morse as far as I know) has no code for
>apostrophe?

International Morse Code indeed has an apostrophe: . __ __ __ .
[By the way, __ __ . . __ __ is a comma, not an exclamation point.]

> When I have seen Klingon words used as PC filenames (where
>Messy-DOS won't allow apostrophes, although it will allow many other sorts of
>veQ such as curly brackets), any apostrophes are omitted; but that can't be
>done easily with continuous text.

The KLIpIqaDmey mapping uses all the letters except "Z".  That's what I
pick to substitute for {'} when necessary.

-- GUNCUZWIZ

Back to archive top level