tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 22 22:57:47 1998

Re: KLBC - pach puqloD

povbej QInvetlh, Voragh.  A really enjoyable posting.  It doesn't say
anything particulary radical, just points out the value of a single
suffix, with canon and amusing non-canon examples.  I really like to
read cross sections taken at uncommon angles, like this.

I'll remember it the next time I go to put {-bej} on a verb, and stop
to think if it is really the *action* I am certain of, or its object.

Perhaps:

ghoqwI' vIHoHbej - I definitely killed a spy.
(certain of the killing)
ghoqwI'na' vIHoH - I killed a verified spy.
(certain the target was a spy)

---Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

> : >> I refuse to be "perfectly new" (though I considered it) because
I don't
> : >> like chu'chu' as a verb construction.
> :
> : > No?  Because of the repetition or the meaning?  {-chu'} doesn't
have
> : > to imply perfect in a good way.  I often translate it as "utter."
> : > {chu'chu'wI'} is the term I usually use to describe an utter
newbie.
> : > The stuttering repetition adds to the image for me.  But
{chu'ba'} is
> : > fine, if you prefer it.
> :
> : Not because of the meaning or the repetition, but because of the
sound:
> : [chu'chu' tren]  >:)
>
> Any objections to *{chu'wI'na'}?  The noun suffix {-na'} is
sometimes a good
> alternative to the verb suffix {-chu'}.  Examples from canon:
>
>     Dujna'  "a definite vessel, undoubtedly a vessel" (TKD)
>     DevwI'na'  "a true leader, a definitely unquestioned leader" (PK)
>     qorDu' lurDechmeyna'  "strong family traditions" (S13)
>     chuqna'  "effective range" (S14)
>     toQDujna' rurchu'!  "It [BoP ornament] looks so REAL!" (Hallmark)
>     HoSna'  "real power" (TKW)
>
> Here are just a few non-canonical examples that have appeared on
this List:

>     *ghojwI'na'  "serious student" (Qov)
>     *HarwI'na'   "true believer"
>     *toy'wI'na'  *tokhe straav'* (?)
>
> .. and my favorite:
>
>     *yInna' yISuq!  "Get a life!" (ghunchu'wI')
>
> *{chu'wI'} "novice, newbie, newcomer" is a double entendre in
Klingon, for