tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 21 13:39:59 1998

Re: qep'a' word list

>ja' Voragh:
>>  nugDaq ghoS?  rIn.				    [Closed Captions]
>>
>>The Closed Captions are conclusive, even if they do have /g/ for /q/ (which
>>may be the captioner's misreading of these similar-looking letters from the
>>printed script supplied). In ST6, a lot of the tlhIngan Hol made it into the
>>captions - including a few bits of indistinctly heard "background" dialogue.
>>You might want to watch the movie again with the captions switched on.
>
>My tape of the movie is apparently defective.  In many places, the
>closed captions seem to be missing letters or even entire words.
>The line as it appears on my screen is "nugDaghoS", no "q", no space.
>Occasionally it fails to show up at all.    	[snip]
>By the way, it's not just the Klingon speech that is garbled like this.
>I didn't take notes, but I think at one point the word "captain" gets
>compressed to "capin", and Sulu has a line with the phrase "we have
>noocation Enterprise" or something like that.

This is frequently the case with shows I've recorded off the air. The
captions are sometimes squashed together, with some letters either omitted or
replace with "garbage" characters.  I imagine it has to do with the level of
atmospheric interference or static in your area at the time.  Oddly, I've
also noticed that these garbled captions in recorded episodes often display
*slightly* differently on different viewings, and I have had to watch some
scenes several times - often over several days - before I can get a clear
reading of some Paramount Hol word or name.  I have no idea why this should
be so.

>					I might have to go rent it
>and watch it again with "good" captions.  There's a mumbled line with
>no subtitle spoken in the Klingon ship's corridor immediately after
>the attack.  On my tape the caption comes out as "ropyaghuHH".  If it
>actually says "ropyaH ghuHmoH" for other people, I *definitely* have
>to get a better copy.
>
>-- ghunchu'wI'

Yes, there are several such lines in ST6 (not so much in the others).  On my
store-bought copy of the tape, the Closed Captions read perfectly: {ropyaH
yIghuHmoH!}, which was quite a surprise when I thought to turn the captions
on. You definitely should do yourself a favor and rent - or better yet buy! -
a manufactured copy of this movie.  When you do, let me know and I'll send
you a copy of my transcript for you to annotate.  Your ears or sound system
may be better than mine. Eventually, I hope we'll be able to reconstruct a
complete version of the tlhIngan Hol dialog that we *all* agree on, since it
looks like we'll never see a copy of the shooting script.

Voragh

Back to archive top level