tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 19 09:42:15 1998

Re: SuvwI'bom

---Alan Anderson  wrote:
> In Klingon, I am compelled to treat the questions {nuq 'oH ponglIj'e'}
> and {ponglIj 'oH nuq'e'} differently.  The first question asks me what
> my name is, in the sense of asking for a description of it.  The
second
> asks me what my is, in the sense of asking what can be described as my
> name.  I rarely dwell on this distinction, but I am always aware of it
> when someone asks a question in the order opposite the way I "want"
it.

> -- ghunchu'wI'

Quite agreed.  The section on pronoin as to be distingushes between
the subject and object of the sentence.  I think this issue gets
confused because of the inversion in English when asking questions.

What is your name - nuq 'oH ponglIj'e'
Your name is what? - ponglIj 'oH nuq'e'
My name is Qov. - Qov 'oH pongwIj'e'
Qov is my name - pongwij 'oH Qov'e'

Remember Okrand's explanation of X 'oH Y'e':
As for Y it is X.
*Y* is the topic of the sentence.