tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 16 21:57:56 1998

Re: SIS

In a message dated 98-06-15 09:23:08 EDT, ghunchu'wI' writes:

<< > << qaStaHvIS Hoch nungbogh Hogh SIS 'ej SISqa'.   >>

 > Putting Hoch before nungbogh Hogh implies that nungbogh Hogh works together
as
 > one compound noun, right?  Interesting?

 Why do you consider the verb {nungbogh} to be a noun? Perhaps it
 is just your choice of terminology. Meanwhile, I read this as a
 rather odd sounding:

 I see tereS using {nung} as a transitive verb with {Hogh} as
 subject and {Hoch} as object. {Hoch nungbogh Hogh} then becomes
 a relative clause. It does sound like tereS likely didn't intend
 this message to mean what it appears to mean, but I would not
 relate the error to anything I'd call a compound noun.

Okay, this gives "During the week which preceeded everything, it rained and
rained some more."  This does fit Klingon grammar.

However, I had suspected that ter'eS had attempted to say "During the whole
week preceeding, it rained and rained."  I hope I am wrong, for I would have
to say that ter'eS's attempt is wrong, too.  I would not like the confusion
caused by putting a number-noun before a long clause.

peHruS

Back to archive top level