tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 15 19:24:07 1998

Re: SIS

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 18:00:14 -0700 (PDT) David Trimboli
<[email protected]> wrote:

> This is a relative clause with a head noun.  {Hoch nungbogh Hogh} "Each week
> which precedes."  What's so mysterious about that?  {nungbogh Hogh}
> certainly works as a unit, but not as a compound noun.

Wouldn't that be {nungbogh Hoch Hogh}? Drop the {-bogh} and
"Each week proceeds" would certainly be {nunbogh Hoch Hogh}. If
"Each week" is the subject of {nungbogh}, I would definitely
expect {Hoch} to be after {nungbogh}. Meanwhile, when I saw
this, I saw:

"The week which preceeds everything." or "Everything which is
preceeded by the week." Without {-'e'} it is ambiguous and none
of these three interpretations exactly roll off the tongue with
a natural sense of meaning.

I can back off and see it your way, but it seems awkward. I know
there is precedent for having a {-bogh} verb between two nouns,
acting as a descriptor of the second noun, though I don't quite
remember what it was. Something on the CD?

But when I hear "each week which preceeds", I wonder, "preceeds
WHAT?" {Hoch DaHjaj nungbogh Hogh'e'}, perhaps? Eeeewwwwww.

> SuStel
> Stardate 98455.8

charghwI'