tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 15 10:08:37 1998

Re: SuvwI'bom

jIja':
> > {HoD jIH} if it answers "Who are you?" and
> >
> > {jIH ghaH HoD'e'} if it answers "Who is the captain?"
> > ("As for the captain, that would be me...")

jang charghwI':
> Since the pronoun "I" is not third person, I could only
> translate this as:
> "The captain is a viewing screen."

arrgl... my choice of using first person clouded more than it helped...

Try {HoD ghaH mara'e'} answering "Who is Mara?" and
{mara ghaH HoD'e'} answering "Who is the captain?"

> > i.e., I choose the known thing as the subject and the unknown
> > as the object. (Of course that's why {SoH 'Iv} confuses me :-)
>
> Well, {SoH 'Iv} makes sense to me, while {'Iv SoH} looks weird,
> though apparently both are correct. As I understand it, when you
> just have one noun and one pronoun, generally speaking, the
> pronoun acts as the verb "to be" and also acts as the subject.
> "We are Klingons" as {maH} as the subject. "Who are you?" has
> {'Iv} as the subject. Apparently, it can act as the verb "to be"
> also. So, {'Iv SoH} means, "You are who?"

in English "Who are you?" obviously "you" is the subject unless either

a) who? is second person (and thus different from the who?
   in "Who is he?" which must be third person, no?)
b) the verb agrees with something other than the subject

(also consider "Where are you?"; surely where? is not the subject)

> Arrange to taste.

usually there's no difference anyway... just in answering questions.

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]

Back to archive top level