tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 14 20:03:46 1998

Re: cheghta' be'nalwI' - jajmaj wa'DIch

>>ja' pagh:
>>>(1) I've always been curious about this usage - *Sarah* lupDuj =
>>>"Sarah's plane". I'm not sure the Klingon can go there. She certainly
>>>doesn't own the thing - it is just associated with her for the moment...

ja' Voragh:
>{*Sarah* lupDuj} is perfectly kosher. In fact, in ST5 Okrand used a nearly
>identical phrase:
>
>Vixis:	nImbuS wejDaq 'ejDo' 'entepray' ngeHlu'pu'.
>	 The starship Enterprise has been dispatched to Nimbus III.
>Klaa:	'entepray''e'?  qerq Duj 'oH!
>	 Enterprise?  That's Kirk's ship!
>
>Obviously Kirk doesn't possess or own the ship, it's just closely associated
>with him.

I hesitate to call these kinds of close association "nearly identical".  The
association between a captain and his ship is very nearly one of possession;
it is at least one of complete control.  A passenger or crewman aboard that
ship doesn't have an association nearly as close as the captain does.

>There's another noun-noun construction here {'ejDo' 'entepray'}:
>again the "starship" doesn't actually own the Enterprise, Starfleet does.

I think this has to be interpreted as something other than the kind of
noun-noun described in TKD, though.  It's an instance of apposition.

>The confusion comes in Okrand's infelicitous choice of the term "possession"
>for one noun directly modifying another.  Indeed, in his first example in TKD
>(p.31) {nuH pegh} "the secret of the weapon, the weapon's secret", there is
>no question of ownership.  He probably wanted to avoid terms like "genitive"
>or "construct" in what was, after all, intended as a popular book on the
>Klingon language.

The {nuH pegh} example sure sounds like ownership to me, but I discovered
some time ago that my idea of "possession" or "ownership" matches closely
the linguistic idea of "genitive".

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level