tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 12 13:55:59 1998

Re: Relative clauses

From: [email protected] <[email protected]>

>Although some of you are going to say that this subject has been adequately
>covered before, I request clarification.

I shall therefore consider your request to be a sincere one!  :)

>I want to know how Klingon covers relative clauses, which is still
troublesome
>to me.  I have included several examples to gain further insight from you,
the
>experts.

The sentences below require recasting into a suitable form.

>I know why the serpent worms are in the sauce.

ghevI'Daq ghargh lulanlu'.  meq vISov.

>I know what the restaurant normally serves.

Qe' nay'mey motlh vISov.

>I see how the cook prepares the dumplings.

vutwI' *dumpling* vutmeH mIw vIlegh.

>I told the warriors how many prisoners to kill.

SuvwI'vaD qama'pu''e' HoHnISbogh chaH vItogh.

This one's much harder to do in one go like that.

>The warriors don't go to the places where we found the prisoners.

Daq puSDaq qama' DItu'.  pa' jaHbe' SuvwI'pu'.

Let's put it another way: can you recreate this problems WITHOUT starting in
English?  THINK in Klingon.  You won't fall into English-generated traps.

SuStel
Stardate 98444.8

Back to archive top level