tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 12 12:37:01 1998

Re: Online Lexicon of Linguistic Terminology

: The Summer Institute of Linguistics maintains a more general glossary of
: linguistic terms.  http://gopher.sil.org/glossary/

I've got a couple of other URLs for online grammar summaries of English I've
been meaning to forward.  Though I imagine these will be of more use to the
BGs who need to copy and paste quick yet accurate explanations for
chu'wI'pu' whose knowledge of English (or other) grammar is somewhat rusty.
Now, if I can just find them...

:> Just a quick glance showed me that what I had been calling an "indefinite",
:> "vague" or "non-explicit" subject WRT to the discussion of {SIS} ("it's
:> raining, pluit, es regnet", etc.) is properly called a "dummy word":
:>
:> Voragh
:
: How technical.  :)  Other names for it are "expletive" and "neoplastic
: word," though oddly they're not listed.

wejpuH.  Considering the tone of the argument ^H^H^H err... discussion it
generated, "dummy word" seems appropriate.

: --Holtej

Voragh

Back to archive top level