tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 11 15:36:18 1998

Re: jIQuch

From: Christiane Scharf <[email protected]>

[peHruS wrote]
>> Persons who have a problem with this sentence are not learning whole
sentences
>> but are trying to parse out parts of sentences as they encounter them.
>> properly learn a language, one MUST take in the whole sentence.
>
>charghwI''s point was that sentences with difficult grammatical
constructions get
>hard to understand when you _hear_ them. In my opinion this is true.

I agree that hearing is a lot different than reading, but I also think that
the "analyze one sentence at a time as you hear it" approach is very limited
in its useful application.  To use it to determine the ease of understanding
is one thing, to use it to decide what should and should not be allowed is
quite another.  In this matter I agree to a certain extent with peHruS.

SuStel
Stardate 98442.0

Back to archive top level