tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 10 18:56:19 1998

RE: KLBC: "Pakled" SoS QIn'e'

At 16:55 06/10/98 -0700, you wrote:
>lab Edy:
>
>This is a tough one. Since you didn't include a translation, sometimes
>I'm not sure what you mean.

This is a very old joke.  My mother showed it to me a long time ago.

>>puqloDDajvaD "pakled"(1) SoS QIn'e'
>>
>>(1) I'm not certain about the correct name of the "stupid"
>>people on Klingon CD.
>
>I have not played the CD through, but it sounds like Pakleds fit your
>idea.

Pakled is the correct name.

>>puqloDoy
>>
>>jIyInmo' QInvam qaghItlh. nom bIlaDlaHbe'mo' QIt bIghItlhtaH.

As soon as I saw this first line I knew what was being translated.

>mu' vIyaj 'ach qech vIjonlaHchu'be'. I don't really understand the
>purpose of the statement "Because you can't read quickly, you write
>slowly".

He should have writen:  ...QIt vIghItlhtaH.
"Because you can't read quickly, I am writing slowly"

>>machoHpu'mo' juHmaj Daghovbe'.
>
>It looks like you're trying to say the family has moved. I suggest
>something like <juH chu' wIje'mo' ...> to carry this meaning.
>

>>nuSuchpu'be' wa' ben Heghchu'bogh *Uncle Venancio*'e'.
>>
>>muberghmoH SajlIj. vIHbe'bogh Duj'e' tlha'lI'.
>
>Uncle Venancio, who died last year, has not visited us. Your pet annoys
>me. He chases ships that do not move. nuqjatlh? jIyajchu'be'.

It continues with the joke.  Dogs like to chase cars, right?  Well, here
it's: "Your pet annoys me.  He chases parked cars."

[snip]

>pagh
>Temporary Beginners' Grammarian

DloraH