tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 08 15:20:11 1998

Re: Satlho'

> confusion comes is because of their idiomatic English translations: sometimes
> it is "be" + adjective, like {Doq}, sometimes it is "be" + noun, like {qay'}.
>
> If it helps, think of {qay'} as "be problematic", which is somewhat awkward
> and less colloquial in English.  How does the German DOW translate the two?

correctly as:
Doq   orange, rot (sein)      (be) orange, red
qay'  problematisch (sein),   (be) problematic,
      ein Problem darstellen  be a problem

> >Steven, in the german version of the DS9 episode "Soldiers of the Empire" we
> re
> >no subtitles. We klingon learning people seem to be a opressed minority here
> .
>
> Not subtitles, which everyone can see, but closed captions, which have to be
> activated if your television set is equipped with a closed captioning chip.
in German "closed captions" and "subtitles" both are "Untertitel"

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]

Back to archive top level