tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 02 12:55:35 1998

Re: What's in a Name (was: Beginner's questions)

ja' qronaH:
> : I didn't realize the list of names using  Q or Qo to make the "kr" sound
> : was so extensive.  I was aware of some of your examples when I was
> : choosing the name,  but I also thought I saw a word that  had "qr" in
> : it (somewhere in the middle of the word). Of course, now when I try
> : to use it as an example, I can't find it.

jang Voragh:
> You're probably thinking of {valQIS} Valkris.  {qoreQ} Korax is another
> example to add to that list -- note how final /Q/ is heard by Earthers.
> Since /Q/ isn't used in English, it is frequently mis-heard and transcribed
> a variety of ways.

or maybe qronaH was thinking of a word that had a syllable boundary
between q and r, like {puqra'} "your child"

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]

Back to archive top level