tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 02 10:46:49 1998

Re: What's in a Name (was: Beginner's questions)

In a message dated 98-06-01 14:35:37 EDT, Voragh writes:

<< Your name is, of course, _your_ name but you might consider spelling it
 {QonaH}, or even {Qo'naH} if the stress falls on the first syllable.
 Capital /Q/ is usually, though not always, rendered in English as "kr": >>

I didn't realize the list of names using  Q or Qo to make the "kr" sound was
so extensive.  I was aware of some of your examples when I was choosing the
name,  but I also thought I saw a word that  had "qr" in it (somewhere in the
middle of the word). Of course, now when I try to use it as an example, I
can't find it.

I really was trying to avoid a name that was pronounced so differently from
tlhIngan Hol to DIvI' Hol.  The Qo sound for "kr" strikes as me as a bit of a
stretch. If you went up to someone unfamiliar with tlhIngan Hol and, in your
best tlhIngan, pronounced Qo'nos and then asked them to spell what you just
said, I don't think Kronos is what they would come up with. One could always
say that the first terrans misprounced the name of the Qo'nos and that the
incorrect pronounciation stuck before it could be corrected. As for other
names, I can't imagine Klingons adding the "r" sound into their names just so
its easier for terrans to speak it. The thought of someone like Qugh adding
the "r" into his name to make it easier for tera'nganpu' to pronounce strikes
me as funny.

Now having said all that, I am not attached enough to the name that I would be
willing to commit any serious grammatical errors just to keep it. As a matter
of fact my second choice of names is beginning to appeal to me more and more
and I may switch. The Battle of Kursk (Germans vs Russians in WW II)  was the
largest tank battle in history, maybe the largest battle of any kind in
history. Everything about the battle was massive, violent, desperate, chaotic
ect. The soldiers, on both sides, fought beyond the limits of endurance on
nothing but guts, pride, honor and duty.

Anyway, I was thinking of naming myself after the battle. Would you have some
suggestions on how to convert this name into tlhIngan Hol? Maybe qurs'H or
Qursq?

Thanks for the help,

qronaH (for now anyway)

Back to archive top level