tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 19 14:15:16 1998

Re: Transcribing movie soundtracks

ja' voragh:

> HovqIj wrote:
>
> : ja' Voragh:
> : >(War council on Kronos One after Gorkon's assassination)
>
> I played this scene a few times last night with HovqIj's suggestions in
> hand.  BTW, if someone else wants to help, this scene is 0:50:45 into the
> movie, not counting commercials (I have the "Special Home Video Version").
> It's also helpful to look at the glossary in the TKD Addendum which contains
> new vocabulary from ST6 (as well as the first year of TNG) for ideas as you
> listen.
>
> : >Kerla:  DIHIvlaHtaHvIS DaH DIHIvnIS!
> : >         (Attack them now, while we still can!)
> : >Khmarr: DIHIvbej qo'chajDaq toy'wI''a' DImoj.   (sic)
> : >         (Attack or be slaves in their world.)
> :
> : Maybe {DIHIvbe'chugh}???
>
> Good idea, that's probably what the line was in the script.  The actor's
> pronunciation was fairly clear, even if his memory wasn't.  He says /deeheev
> bej ko chajdak/ which could have been {DIHIvbe'ch[ugh]} if he forgot a
> syllable.

No, there is something after the bej/be'ch part. To me, it sounded like *nye*. Also
consider that he pronounces the j/ch sound very forcefully so that it rather is ch
than j. However, an argument for j is that he speaks the {bej/be'ch} as one syllable.

> Oddly enough, he also says /toyweeTA'/ clearly for {toy'wI''a'}
> "slave", a word invented for this movie (it's in the Addendum).
>
> : >Grokh:  QaplaH <pla'> pe'vIl <Qapla' ghobe' laH'a'>            (??)
> : >        (We can take whole by force, what they propose to divide.)
> :
> : This one's very hard. I got {qo' wIHIvlaH pe'vIl tlhap'egh.... <not
> : understandable>}(???)
>
> This actor is clearly putting a lot of feeling into his lines.  It's a pity
> we can barely understand a word he says.  He also shows up later on Chang's
> BoP Dakronh during the fight with the Enterprise.  On watching this a few
> times, I now think the first word is {Qo'!} "No! I disagree!", an
> exclamation listed in the Addendum.

I think I can agree with this.

> Remember, the three generals are
> disagreeing with Azetbur's decision to continue negotiations with the
> Federation at a neutral site.  In fact, they've just heard her agree to this
> with the Federation president over subspace.
>
> : >:                                      I still have no clue
> : >: what the officer was saying when he spread out the map (or
> : >: whatever paper it was) on the desk in ST6. It sounded like
> : >: something waWAwawa...
> : >:
> : >: charghwI'
>
> To me it all sounded like /ka plapla pe-veel pla kapla go-bey HaH!/.  If
> this is the actor charghwI' is referring to, the only clear word in this is
> {pe'vIl} "by force", which is another word invented for this movie listed in
> the Addendum.  If he said the words in the wrong order, this might be
> *{DIHIvlaH pe'vIl} for {pe'vIl DIHIvlaH} "We can attack them by force".  No
> matter how many times I played the tape, I couldn't hear {wav} "divide" as I
> expected.  /go-bey/ might be {tlhob} "request, ask, plead" -- "propose" in
> the subtitle -- which is another word from the Addendum.  Now with your
> suggestions, this all becomes something like:
>
>   Grokh:  Qo'! pe'vIl DIHIvlaH, <kapla> tlhob <be --- HaH>          (??)

To me, the second part sounded like: *tlhepegh ghuweghlaHaH* (?????????)

> Well, at least it's a *little* better than I started with.
>
> : >Azetbur:  ghu'maj Dayajbe'law', Sa'.
> : >          (not subtitled)
> : >          {You don't seem to grasp our situation, General.}      (novel)
> : >Azetbur:  notlh veS 'a toH manotlhchoH <chenmoH>                    (??)
> : >          (War is obsolete, General...as we are in danger of becoming.)
> : >          {War is...obsolete. As we are in danger of becoming.}  (novel)
> :
> : Maybe {tugh manotlhchoH je maH}???
>
> That's it!  I think you're right.  The last bit sounded like /je-mo/, but
> final {H} is often not pronounced, as is final /h/ in English:  oh, ah, eh.
>
>   Azetbur:  notlh veS... 'a tugh manotlhchoH je maH.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.  It always helps to have another set of ears
> (not to mention a different set of audio speakers) listen to these
> problematic lines.  With enough time, we just might be able to reconstruct them.

Maybe, but probably not the "waWAwawa" sentence.

> Voragh                          "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons    lis est."        - Horace, Ars Poetica

HovqIj

Back to archive top level