tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 20 09:16:52 1998

Re: the nature of pIqaD

jIja':
> >you mean phone_m_ic, I assume

jang ghunchu'wI':
> No, I do mean phonetic.  I'm talking about a system for representing
> spoken sounds with distinct symbols.  The term "phonemic" implies to
> me an alphabet like the romanized transcription system we use now in
> writing Klingon, where each fundamental sound or phoneme has its own
> symbolic representation.  A syllabic writing system would still be a
> phonetic system, wouldn't it?

ghItlhmeH pat *phonemic* lo'lu'taHvIS, wa' *phoneme* Del Hoch *symbol*,
'e' DaQubchugh, bIlughbe'.
ghItlhmeH pat *phonemic* lo'lu'taHvIS, wa' *phoneme* <tlhegh> Del
Hoch *symbol*.
cha' *sound* Delchugh wa' *phoneme*, *sound*vaD *allophone* luponglu'.
ghItlhmeH pat *phonetic* lo'lu'taHvIS, wa' *allophone* <tlhegh> Del
Hoch *symbol*.
ghItlhmeH pat *phonetic* lutu'be'lu', 'e' vIQub.

> So I still think that the sketchy description of pIqaD that appears
> in TKD is more consistent with a way to describe pronunciation than
vaj, *phonemic*law' ghItlhmeH pat pIqaD.

> a pictoral or ideographic system.  There are a great many ways that
> pronunciation can be described, however, and we will probably never
> get any better clues than we already have.

wa' DoS wIqIp.

(my excuses for trying to keep this on-topic and thereby introducing
more *s than anything else :-/ )

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]