tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 17 20:43:54 1998

Re: jIpaw. jIlegh. jIchargh.

---Marc Ruehlaender <[email protected]> wrote:

> tlhob SuStel:
> > > Why not just
> > >
> > > rIghmo' pe'eghlaH.
> > > Because he is lame, he can keep score.
> >
> jang Qov:
> > I did not want to lose the information that he can be YOUR
> > scorekeeper. Perhaps that is relevant to the game.
>
> I may have lost track... but wasn't the original submission
> something like that... and you didn't like it because it sounded
> like his being lame caused him to be able to keep score?

The original submission was a horribly diseased mutant sentence and I
put it out of its misery by burying it under a wad of suggestions.  I
wasn't sure whether the writer meant that the handicap gave him the
abilty to keep score, or allowed him the concession. "Can" in English
is used to mean "may," a meaning not carried by Klingon /-laH/, so I
uncluded suggestions avoiding /-laH/.  Without context a sentence can
mean a number of things, and not all of them are translated the same way.
==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian