tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 16 20:10:55 1998

bom muchta' peHruS be'nal (was RE: Klingon Language Sighting onABC)

ja' Holtej:
>...Supghew chu' peHruS be'nal.  bom je, 'ach tlhIngan Hol jatlhbe'mo'
>bom mu' vIyajchu'be'.  (chaq ngeHlaH peHruS!) ...

bom mu'meyvam vISov jIH.

<SupghewlIj yIpang 'angghaloy'>

I believe the usual English words are "play your fiddle, Uncle Joe" or
something like that; there's some minor punning here using the similar
sounds of "uncle" and {'angghal}.

<naHvetlh chIS yIpub>

This has got to be intended as meaning "boil that cabbage down".  If I
remember peHruS's explanation correctly, Mandarin Chinese for "cabbage"
is literally "white vegetable".  The "boiling wormwine" example from
somewhere or other shows that it should probably be {yIpubmoH}, and I'd
go so far as to suggest {yIpubmoHchu'} for "boil it down."  A simple
{yI'Im} would probably work better, though.  I never expected that I'd
find a use for that verb, but life is surprising sometimes.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level