tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 16 16:23:24 1998

Re: KLBC++: Questions on {jatlh} {ghom} etc

Stardate 9808.16

Greetings.

Dawut here, responding to the reply of charghwI'.
charghwI', qatlho'qa'.

Discussion was on {SoHvaD jIjatlh} for "you speak for me".

-charghwI' wrote-
>Someone might stretch the meaning that far, but since we have
>the verb {'oS} which would more clearly carry your second
>meaning, I would not count on {X-vaD jatlh} carrying that
>meaning without a lot of support from context. I'd consider it
>an acceptable, but sloppy way of expressing that idea.
>Informally, with lots of context, it would be fine. Any other
>setting, it is very weak.
>
>[snip]
>Better would obviously be:
>
>HI'oSQo'! jI'oS'eghlaHba'!

Yea, I remembered {'oS} when posting that question. I was thinking
along the lines of "putting words in someone's mouth" or "speaking
instead of someone else". I wasn't sure if {'oS} would give the idea
of speaking out of turn on someone else's behalf; but now I see the
contextual mess caused by {X-vaD jatlh).

//me then charghwI'
>> ratlh vaghvatlh Hut jajmey.
>
>qaSpa' nuq ratlh vaghvatlh Hut jajmey?

Hegh wo'vam qoj pum chal qoj pagh.