tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 16 16:20:35 1998

Re: KLBC++ : Questions on {jatlh}, {ghom}

Stardate 9808.16

Greetings.

Dawut here, extending belated thanks and response to Qov's
reply to my questions.

Qov, qatlho'qa'. muQaHqa' mu'meylIj.

//Qov asking about lack of prefix on {HoH}
>Does it appear somewhere as */SoH HoH jIH/?
>I would consider that ignorant Klingon.

I don't think it appeared anywhere. I think I heard it
somewhere, and since there aren't many {tlhIngan Hol}
speakers in my neighborhood, it probably was uttered by
one of my friends/acquaintences who dabble in {tlhIngan Hol}.
So far, I'm the only one in my immediate area who studies
the language with any real intent on becoming fluent/semi-fluent.

//Qov responding to my somewhat lengthy sign-off.
>> tlhIngan maH!
>> reH tlhInganpu' taHjaj!
>> wa' Dol nIvDaq matay'DI' maQap.
>> batlh maSuvtaHvIS maHeghjaj.
>> manajtaHvIS qeylIS qa' wIghomjaj.
>> ratlh vaghvatlh Hut jajmey.
>
>These are from TKW, qar'a'?

Some are while some are not.

>>tlhIngan maH!
"We are Klingons"
-TKW, p.3

>>reH tlhInganpu' taHjaj!
"Klingons Forever!"
-toast from CK

>>wa' Dol nIvDaq matay'DI' maQap.
"We succeed together in a greater whole."
-TKW, p.209

>>batlh maSuvtaHvIS maHeghjaj.
"May we die honorably in battle."
-NOT CANON: My concoction, combining
{batlh bIHeghjaj} "May you die well"
(TKW p.71) and (bISuvtaHvIS bIHeghjaj}
"May you die in battle" (CK), with the
prefix for "we/no-object" {ma-).

>>manajtaHvIS qeylIS qa' wIghomjaj.
"May we meet the Spirit of Kahless while we dream."
-NOT CANON: prefix variation from "you" to "we".
I'm not quite sure where the original comes from;
anyone know/remember the source of
{bInajtaHvIS qeylIS qa' Daghomjaj}?

>>ratlh vaghvatlh Hut jajmey.
"509 days remain."
-DEFINITELY NOT CANON: It's a reference to the
series Millennium, as well as a countdown to the
year 2000.

In the future, beginning with this post, when I
do sign-off I'll keep it short and to a point.

Thanks again for the helpful comments.

batlh bIHeghjaj.

*****
Dawut (Dave)