tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 13 12:29:21 1998

Re: Text for web page

---"Rose, Thornton (Atlanta)"  wrote:

> I am building a web page on which the user can switch between
> an English rendering and a Klingon rendering, but I am not sure
> about my translations. So, I am looking for a little assitance
> from the grammarians.
>
> - "Search" --> {nejghach}. I know that putting {-ghach} on
>   naked verb is unorthodox, but it seemed to fit better in
>   the context. I also considered {nej} and {nejwI'}.

Certainly use /nej/.  What happens when you choose that link?  You get
to search.  It isn't 'a search.'  Consider that in English such a link
is often called "find."  They aren't claiming that what's behind the
link is "a find."  They are giving you the opportunity "to  find"
something.  Use the verb.  If you must use a noun, /nejwI'/ is ideal
for "search engine."

> - "Help" --> {QaH}, which luckily is both a verb and a noun.
>
> - "Home" --> {juH}.
>
> - "Target" --> {DoS}.
>
> - "Go" --> {jaH}.

Consider also /ruch/.

> - "Hits" --> {qIpghachmey}, which again is probably stilted.

Think Klingon. What is a "hit"?   How about /Qapla'mey/ - successess.
Or /Samlu'/  "found".

> - "Showing" I used {cha'taH}.
Works, if that refers to what is displayed.

> - "No matches were found." --> {pagh qIpghachmey} ("0 hits",
>    which seemed more direct and Klingon-esque).

Use the verbs.  Using naked /-ghach/ "nouns" instead of rephrasing is
painful for the Klingon speakers, counterproductive in teaching
visitors good Klingon, and no challenge or learning experience for you.

pagh Samlu' - zero found

> - "Error: Query timed out." --> {Qagh: nejghach poH mevpu'.}.

Use the verbs.
loj nejmeH poH - search time expired

> - "Error: Too many hits." --> ??? -- I couldn't remember how
> to say "too" or "too many", and (go ahead, chastise me) I have
> not consulted TKD yet.

As a rule, don't search for the Klingon word to translate any English
chuvmey. Look instead for an entire construction. Here you could say
"very much information found"
or
"the information found exceeds the information that can be displayed"

==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian