tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 12 20:09:35 1998

KLBC - jIpaw. jIlegh. jIchargh.

KLBC - jIpaw.  jIlegh.  jIchargh.

vIjatlh 'e' vIneH neH.  >:-)

ja' Qov:

> ---Burt Clawson <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > KLBC - QInwIj Qav Soppu' De'wI' jay'!
>
> pIj Daje'nIS.

qatlh?  tlho' noblu'lI'meH jaj 'oH DaHjaj'e'?  Har'a' De'wI'?

> > bImoHchu' SoH.  vaj verengan ngaghta'bogh SoS'e' vay' Darur.
> > "You are perfectly ugly.  Thus, you resemble someone whose mother has
> > mated with a Ferengi."
>
> Hmm.  A noun-noun with a relative clause acting as N1 doesn't seem
> unreasonable, but this one doesn't work for me.  Here's why:
> What does /SoS vay' Darur/ mean?  "You resemble a mother's
> something/one."  "You resemble the something/someone of a mother."
> It's not completely certain you are referring to a child.  You've lost
> the possessive directed towards "mother" in the translation.  We don't
> know a Klingon relative clause marker that forms a possessive the was
> "whose" does. (*) If the bare noun-noun isn't readily understandable,
> good luck when the noun is in a relative clause!  If you change /vay'/
> to /puq/, /puqloD/ or /puqbe'/, then I can read the sentence.
>
> Dalaj'a'?

HISlaH./verengan ngaghta'bogh SoS/ was supposed to be the clause modifying
/vay' Darur/.  That's why I stuck that nasty /'e'/ on the end of /SoS/.  I
sweated over that sentence for nearly 20 minutes, then just went ahead and
sent it.  I seem to be missing some ultra-important thing here regarding
relative clauses, and purpose clauses.  Any suggestions?

> Qov - Beginners' Grammarian

chu' mu'tlheghmeyvam:

tera'Daq SupawDI' SIbI' tlhIngan rIvSo' yIghoS.
"When you reach Earth, immediately go to the Klingon embassy."

peQ chem qoDDaq Hap rugh je DaDuDlaH 'ach peQ chem HurDaq bIH DaDuDchugh
ghaytan bIjor'eghmoH.
"You can mix matter and antimatter inside a magnetic field, but if you mic
them outside a magnetic field, you are likely to blow yourself up."

bIrIghmo' ghaHlaH pe''eghwI'ra''e'.
"Because he is lame he can be your score keeper."

pejatQo' 'ej puq Hol yIlo'Qo'.
"Don't mumble and don't use baby talk."

jIyuDbe'.  chutmeywIj'e' vIpab neH!
"I'm not dishonost.  I merely follow mu own rules!"

HItapQo'!
"Don't squish me!"

- tuv'el

Back to archive top level