tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 10 14:27:29 1998

Re: KLBC The Simpsons

: [email protected] wrote:
:
: > I didn't do it.
: > vIta'pu'be'
:
: Grammatically correct utterance, translatable as:
: "I haven't done it."  "I won't have done it." or "I hadn't done it."
: /vIta'be'/ is sufficient for "I didn't do it."

Quite right WRT tense vs. aspect, but as it turns out "I didn't do it!" is
listed in TKD's Useful Expressions as {vIta'pu'be'} in the perfective.  I'd
imagine this is a handy phrase to know when dealing with touchy Klingon
police (or "guards" {'avwI'pu'} as MO calls them).

: > Nobody saw me.
: > jIleghlu'pu'be'
:
: With /-lu'/ you need to use the prefix that normally indicates a third
: person object, in this case /vI-/.  The suffix /-be'/ goes after the
: suffix or verb you wish to negate.
:
: /vIleghbe'lu'/ - I wasn't seen/I'm not seen/I won't be seen

A simpler option without -lu' is, of course, {mulegh pagh} "No one saw me".

: > You can't prove anything.
: > vay' DatoblaHbe'
:
: maj.
:
: Qov - Beginners' Grammarian

Or, {pagh DatoblaH} "You can prove nothing" - and I like the repetition of
{pagh} here from the previous line.  Whatever version you prefer, it's
another useful phrase to remember when dealing with the police.

Voragh                            Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons     lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level