tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 05 19:33:46 1998

Re: lopno' - looking for general comment

---Christiane Scharf <[email protected]> wrote:
> ja' Qov:

> I assumed I could use the prefix trick on any verb. I didn't know it
> probably is restricted.

I'd say 'possibly' is restricted, rather than 'probably.'

> > > This probably looks like I love arguing, but I just want
> > clarification.
> >
> > Not a problem. If I don't have to explain things in intimate
detail I
> > don't learn much from doing it.  If new people didn't come along and
> > argue for new things we wouldn't make nearly as much progress as we
> > have.
> >
> > This is to clarify what I mean by waiting until the last syllable:
> >
> > Here's your sentence, processed in the order you recive the
syllables.
> > juHDaq Daq - her house's place -- her address
> > vI- - I did something to her address
> > vIDel - I described her address
> > vIDellu' - I was described ... wait a moment ... now the object of
the
> > sentence must be /jIH/, so what does that thing in the object
position
> > do?  Before I can understand the sentence I have to go back and
change
> > what I've already parsed about it.
>
> vIDellu' - I was described her address. (I'm not sure if this is
correct
> English, but "I was given the book" is.) -- Her address was
described to me.
> Just changing from active to passive. Maybe it's because I was the
one who
> made up that sentence, but I don't have any trouble in understanding
it.
> (Whether  it is really grammatical is a different question) Perhaps
if I'd
> read a message of someone else and encountered a similar sentence it
would
> be different, I don't know.
>

> > My sentence:
> > jIH - me
> > jIHvaD - for me, to me
> > juHDaj Daq - her house's place, her address, something was done to
it
> > for me
> > Del -  someone described it for me
> > Dellu' - and the describer is not specified.
> >
> > At no point in the reading or hearing of this second sentence do I
> > have to back up and re-evaluate everything I've already heard.
>
> qay'be'. Certainly easier when hearing the sentence, but (jIHvaD ;-)
 ) only
> a little difference when reading it.

You still read a sentence in order.  Actually I remember when I
started reading and writing my sentences by jumping around between the
parts I know.  If you read by finding the verb first and then going
out to find what the rest of the sentence is then this sentence won't
read any slower than any other, but all your reading will be slow!

Oh and "hipcheck" is to push or block someone by hitting them with
your hip.  An ice-hockey term.  I opened the conversation with Krankor
that way, just as an attention-getter.  He was merely re-incorporating
it as a possible means of defeat.  vIQIjchoHta' 'ach mIw Sov Hoch 'e'
vIwuq.  jIwuqHa'ba'.  lutvaD ram *hipcheck*.  loQ ghaH vIHIv 'ej
HIvmeH mIwvetlh chup Qanqor.  pItlh.

==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian