tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 05 12:23:57 1998

Re: Exercises?

On Sat, Aug 01, 1998 at 12:09:10AM -0700, Robyn Stewart wrote:
> Translate into Klingon:
>
> The brigadier is hungry.
ghung 'ech.
> The night is dark.
Hurgh ram.
> She exhausted him.
taQbangpu'.  How do you avoid the ambiguity since pronouns are optional?
> I wait for you(singular).
qaloS.
> We will defeat you(plural).
rejey.
> I am disgraced.
jIweb.
> They torture you and the lieutenant.
SoH je Sogh joy'.
> A woman is reading a journal.
QonoS laD be'.
> Two men will be reading a label.
per lulaD cha' loD.
> I am the man of the eggs.
loD QIm jIH.
> The pipyus was Paul.
I don't know how to write past tense 'to be' in klingon.
> Drop your(singular) weapons!
nuHlIj Dachagh.
> Yesterday, my troubles were apparently remote.
wa'Hu' jIH Sengmey Hoplaw'.
> The animal's nose is very long.
tIq Ha'DIbaH ghIchqu'.
> We can go to the sea.
bIQ wIjaHlaH.
> I saw the star swallow the planet.
yuQ ghuppu' Hov 'e' vIlegh.
> We need to sit at the edge of the sea.
bIQ HeHDaq wIba'nIS.
> I am sad because the water is dirty.
lam bIQ 'e' vI'IQmo'.  (I'm not quite sure of SAO construction yet)
> If our society doesn't care about the water then we are stupid.
SaHbe'chugh nughmaj vaj maQIp.
> The man who cannot see touched the large animal.
leghlaHbe'bogh loD Ha'DIbaH tIn Hotpu'.
> He says the animal resembles a rope.
tlhegh rur Ha'DIbaH 'e' jatlh ghaH.
> Hope for the best, but expect the worst.
Doch QaQ law' Hoch QaQ puS  yItulbogh 'ach Doch qab law' Hoch qab puS  yIpIHbogh.
I've probably messed this up quite spectacularly :-)
> A sharp mind is better than a sharp sword.
yab jej QaQ law' 'etlh jej QaQ puS.

Some of these prompted me to ask something that TKD mentions but doesn't
clarify.  How do you differentiate between tenses? In particular the notion
of a future tense. For example {rejey} above could also mean 'we are
defeating you'.  I could have used the adverb {tugh} in addition, but the
meaning will have deviatede from the one you requested.

Qov QIn vIloS..
--
Matt Peperell <[email protected]>
"Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, be satisfied with the mediocre"

Back to archive top level