tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 29 12:57:36 1997

Re: Hapless Newbie

Jaime Allan wrote:

>I seem to be out of my depth here.

When you start out learing Klingon, much of the
material posted *is* unintelligible, but you will catch on if you
study.   I'm the current Beginners' Grammarian and I'll help you make
sense of the language.  Just put the letters KLBC in the subject line
and you'll get my attention to answer your questions or correct your
work.

The sole purpose of this list is discussion and practice of
the Klingon language, though, so if you are primarily interested in
Klingon culture, you are on the wrong list.

>P.S. Does anyone here know to say "You really ought to read
>Shakespeare/Macbeth in the original Klingon"?

This question *is* on topic, but it's not a matter of "knowing how to
say" a particular phrase, rather of knowing the language so we can
express that idea.  Off the top of my head:

*SeQpIr* tlhIngan Hol mughbe'lu'pu'bogh DalaDnISqu'

"You really ought to read Shakespeare's untranslated
Klingon."

more literally: "You (singular only) really need to read
Shakespeare's Klingon language which has not been
translated."

This definitely isn't the only way to say it, and probably isn't the
best.  Get the dictionary and figure out how to say things like "The
targ scares the officer" and "I see you," then work your way up to
more complex sentences.

Back to archive top level