tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 28 20:21:58 1997

Re: KLBC

At 11:18 97-09-28 -0700, Msala wrote:
}nuqneH !qaleghneS ..

}I'm Baaaack -- Msala

Brenda, I get the idea you can't see what you are typing very clearly.  What
font and point size do you use in the program which you use to compose mail?
When I get your mail, your writing contains spaces where there shouldn't be,
and missing spaces where there should be spaces. I suspect that you are
using a small proportional font and that you can't see where the spaces are
in your own text.  Worse yet, you can't see where the spaces are in everyone
else's text, making Klingon very hard for you to read.  For the same reason
that your grade one readers had big print, I also recommend you use a large
point size.

Don't even try to read this:
notmu'chavchughghItlhwI'ghItlhlaDlaH'Iv?loQveQvamvIlaDlaHjIH'achvIqonlI'mo'vIyaj

I recommend a font that is non-proportional (has equal widths for all
letters) and with serifs (the marks that distinguish between the capital I
(eye) and the lower case l (ell)).  I use Courier.  Times Roman is another
widely available serif font, but I think some verstions are proportional,
which makes it hard to see spaces between {'} letters.  If you don't have
any fancy fonts, the plain System font is perfectly adequate.  If you use a
sans serif font, the following line looks like chicken scratch:

tlhIllIj lI' lIlI'lI' jIllI'
(Your neighbour is transmitting you all your useful minerals.)

If you have trouble changing fonts, follow up explaining what sort of
computer system you use and what mail program, and someone here may be able
to give instructions.

}y I'el . rI  . rI'Se .SIQ . (just practicin') QumpIn !.

yI'el - enter, come in
rI' - hail
rI'Se' - hailing frequency
SIQ  - endure, bear

You *must* include all the {'} letters.  You can' omi hem anymore han you
can no use he leer "t" in English.  I's very hard o read. Ge i?  :)

yIqeqtaH  - Keep practising.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level