tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 27 16:34:41 1997

RE: Virtual Postal Course

>>----------

I find that thanks to EMAIL I write more to people than I ever did with pen
and paper.  I'd bet that people would be MORE PRONE to doing more of the
lessons if it were easier for them.

>>Furthermore, e-mail is very, very easy for many people
>>these days.  Simply put: David doesn't have the time to
>>handle the virtual tons of e-mail he'd get if he did this on
>>his own.  Let alone trying to keep track of everything!

Handling this is indeed a large task (as can be seen from the work the
grammarians do on this list.  As can be seen by the "lengthly" responses from
the grammarians, you can just say "sorry not right".  This is by far the best
reason against such and endeavor.  However, if they went to a "central
mailbox" that several people had access to, it could be handled that way.

>>I'd rather see the KLI take its time and come up with
>>a good, solid online course than do a quick job and
>>have someone crushed in the process.

Another excellent point!  It was obvious that David Barrons put a lot into his
postal course, but it was riddled with many problems.  NOT TO DEMEAN IT, but
with anything, taking one time on something is a good thing (I've gone round
and round on this issue with one person in particular -- sigh).

>>In the meantime
>>we've still got our other means of teaching online,
>>including this list.

INDEED!

>>And there is something to be said about putting
>>pen to paper.

For me it NO! NO! NO! NO!  Give me a word processor!  It's easier to type, you
can review and make corrections as you go.  And the final results are much
better with the ability to format (style and size.)  I compose and edit
everything I do with my word processor.  If I could have a laptop in all my
meetings my NOTES would be typed.

>>These days I
>>only write with fountain pens.  I won't use
>>ballpoints anymore.  The
>>scratching it makes when I write is just so lovely . . .

To each his own.  More power to you!!!  poH nI' yIyIn 'ej yIchep!

KEN

Back to archive top level