tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 26 18:12:28 1997

Re: Virtual Postal Course

At 17:14 97-09-26 -0700, qabatlh wrote:

}This is a great idea.  I`ve just completed the first lesson of the
}Postal Course and I do not like the method of delivery.  I live in
}Canada and I can`t get US stamps easily fore the S.A.S.E..
}
}Maybe we can get a skilled tlhIngan Hol speaker to send lessons via
}email to all those interested.

Here's why the course is not offered by e-mail:

It is much easier to send e-mail than it is to send a paper letter.  In
fact, e-mail can be sent virtually without thinking.  In order to learn
Klingon you must think.  Anyone who believes s/he can learn Klingon without
thinking is seriously misguided.  Anyone who is not willing to go to the
minor trouble to put a lesson in an envelope with an SASE is unlikely to
actually work on a lesson with much thought. And so who ever ran the course
would be spammed with thoughtless Klingon.

For those people who have a legistimate unability to use the postal system
(live somewhere where mail service is unreliable, cannot get American
stamps, physical disability that prevents manipulating pen and paper ...) I
know that David Barron is *very* accommodating.  If your problem is just
that it's too much bother, I don't have much sympathy.  It's a fair amount
of bother for David to mark them, so it makes sense for him to confine his
efforts to those serious enough to master the technology of envelope-licking.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level