tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 24 22:41:45 1997

Re: KLBC: -ghach

In a message dated 97-09-24 11:28:55 EDT, SuStel writes:

<< I once postulated this myself, and thought it was quite a nice
interpretation.
  If you're saying the same thing I was (it's too late for me to think that
 technically), you're saying that {-ghach} would only be used on a verb which

 has an analogous noun.  Thus {Qong} "sleep (v)," which doesn't have a noun
 counterpart, couldn't be used with {-ghach}. >>

peHruS jIH

While I, too, avoid putting {-ghach} onto words, and this reply goes off your
original subject, I wish to point out that while we do not have a gloss for a
noun counterpart for {Qong} we do have strong evidence that {Qong} is also a
noun.  MO has pointed out that {QongDaq}, "bed", is a compound noun which
uses an archaic noun {Qong} which is now lost and not used in modern speech.

While I still believe that there are many more nouns in Klingon which we know
now only as verbs, I refuse to use even words which have been used by MO as
nouns in the way {Qong} has in {QongDaq} unless he himself releases these
words from their archaic, useless position and makes them clearly useable by
us.  This is why I have modified my stand on making up compound nouns from
words which are not clearly defined already as nouns.

Qapla'

Back to archive top level