tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 23 13:22:18 1997

Re: New proverb

No one has pointed out one error in here yet.

lab charghwI'
>Huch nobHa'bogh verenganpu''e' yIvoqQo' 'ej Huch'e' nobHa'bogh
>verenganpu' yIvoQo' je!

lab muHwI'
>Why do you have the {je} at the end ?

When placed after a verb, {je} means "too".  {jIghung 'ej jI'oj
je} "I'm hungry and I'm thirsty, too." It's in the "Other kinds of
words" chapter of TKD. In "Don't trust Ferengi who give back
money and don't trust money that Ferengi give back, either,"
we say "either" instead of "too" because the thing being added is
negative, but that's just a quirk of English.

>Did you forget a letter in {yIvoQo'} ?

Yup he did.  He also got the prefix wrong on the first voq.  It
should be {verenganpu' tIvoqQo'} because there are multiple verengi
not to be trusted.  I'm sure he'll do something to regain his honour.

- Qov

Back to archive top level