tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 23 11:37:58 1997

Re: KLBC: Re: Word games

muHwI' responded to charghwI':
>> Once upon a time, there were fifteen strange aliens.
>wa'logh wa'maH vagh nuv Huj tu'lu'pu'.

I'm not certain that {wa'logh} works this way, but the word for
"once" sems to be ok for "at one time" in other languages than
English, so perhaps it isn't an idiom.

Why did you translate this as perfective?  Nothing charghwI' wrote
suggests that at the time he is considering the aliens had stopped
existing. Once upon a time there *were* aliens.  Not had been.  I
know what you are trying to do.  You are trying to indicate past
tense with the perfective aspect.  It didn't mean past tense when you
tried it before, and it still doesn't.  Relax, sit back and just
accept that Klingon doesn't have a past tense marker and doesn't need
one.  meqvetlh {-pu'} Dalo'qa'chugh SoHvaD pu' vIlo' jIH.

>> One got up yesterday.
>wa'Hu' Hu' wa'
Wahoo!

>> Two will relax the day after tomorrow.
>cha'leS leS cha'
cha'lu'chu'

>> Three think only about milk.
>Qub wej (milk=?)
"milk" is a new word, {nIm}.  For "think only about" charghwI' is
thinking of {buS}.  This one is a pun on the name of a planet.

>> Four wait.
>loS loS
ghorgh paw *Godot*?

>> Five nibble deodorant.
>*deo?* *nibble?* vagh
"deodorant" is in TKD.  "Nibble" is a new word, {noS}.

>> [Heh, heh, heh]
>That's really funny !! vIparHa'

bIQujmeH mu'mey Dalo'chugh mu'tay' pab je Daghoj. mIw vIchup.

- Qov

Back to archive top level