tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 23 10:24:47 1997

Re: KLBC: that old joke

lab muHwI'
>{chorgh qagh QaQ law' quv QaQ puS}
>(when ghagh better than honor?)
{ghorgh} is "when" {chorgh} is "eight."

>{DaH qaja'}
>(now I tell you:)
maj.

>{pagh QaQ law' quv QaQ puS} (?)
>This makes me hesitate...
>It sounds like "nothing is BETTER than honor"
>But the meaning is that there is NOTHING better than honor,...see?

Yes you should hesitate.  This is being discussed in another thread
and I am going to respond to it later.

>{Doch QaQ law' tu'lu'be'} (?)

I think you are trying for: "There is nothing that is better."
Have a look at {qaq} - be preferable.

qaqbogh Doch tu'lu'be'  - There is nothing preferable.

Of course this loses the possible double meaning of  "nothing" but
that's what normally happens when you try to translate puns.

>{qagh QaQ law' pagh QaQ puS}
>can I use this for "better"?

Yes.  In English you wouldn't say "*X is more good than Y"
but in Klingon that's a fine way to say it.  However, we don't know
if saying X QaQ law' pagh QaQ puS makes it sound like "X is better
than nothing at all" or "there exists no thing such that X is better
than it."  So your second idea is better, once you get the word order
right.   Remember that the {law'/puS} is a very special construction.

-Qov

Back to archive top level