tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 18 09:25:35 1997

Re: Just Practicing

At 05:23 AM 9/18/97 -0700, M'Sala wrote:

Just Practicing.  maj.  Put KLBC in your subject line so I won't skip your
posts, though.  And include an English translation so I don't need to guess
what you're trying to say.

>Wo'DevtaH ghop Du'ma'.

Some spacing problems here.  Took me a moment to figure out. Words should
have spaces between thm, but suffixes and prefixes should not be spaces
apart from the words they belong to.  Although your hands are *part* of a
speaking being, they aren't actually speaking beings themselves, so the
possessive suffix {-maj} is appropriate, giving:

wo' DevtaH ghopDu'maj.

Our hands continuously guide empires.  (If you meant that our hands guide
the empire, referring to a single empire, you would need to put the prefix
{lu-} on {Dev}: {luDevtaH}, to represent a plural subject acting on a
singular object.  See p 33.

>qalegneS.

{qaleghneS} "I am honoured to see you."  Don't skip the h in {gh}.

>toH, tlhIngan Hol DajatlhlaH'e'DaneH'a'?

Re-read the end of section 6.2, starting with the line at the bottom of p. 66.
{neH} is a verb that *doesn't* use {'e'}.  And note that {'e'} in a sentence
as object construction is a separate word.  It needs spaces around it.

toH, tlhIngan Hol DajatlhlaH DaneH'a'?
So, do you want to be able to speak Klingon?

ghItlhlIj vIHo'.  pupbe'bej 'ach bIghojba'lI'.

I admire your writings.  It's definitely not perfect, but you are clearly
learning.

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level