tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 15 20:25:09 1997

Re: word explanations

[email protected] on behalf of Qov wrote:
> At 12:52 AM 9/15/97 -0700, Dawut wrote:
> >tlhutlhlIj Hoch yInob.
> >Give me _all_  your drink.
>
> 'op is a cunterpart to Hoch. But they both go *befoere* the noun the modify.
> Also {tlhutlh} is not a noun, and you've just said "give" {yInob}  not "give
> me" {HInob}.
>
> 'op HIqlIj HInob - give me some of your liquor
> Hoch HIqlIj HInob - give me all of your liquor

Actually, I think this means something more like "Give me some of your beers"
and "Give me each of your beers."  (Just using "beer" as an easy-to-translate
type of liquor; it could just as well be wine or warnog.)

Something I found in KGT on p. 155 suggests that when {Hoch} (and perhaps the
other nouns like it) follows a noun, the meaning is more like "All of the
example is

nIn Hoch
all of the fuel

We seem to get