tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 15 01:53:24 1997

Re:

[email protected] on behalf of TPO wrote:
> >Qu'vam DatIvlaw'.  ghaHvaD jImughtaHvIS yajghach chaw'ba' Qov.
>
> SuStel used -ghach on a verb with no other suffix?!
> After reading this sentance I was shocked that SuStel wrote it.

In that same letter I said that I did it intentionally.  I guess I'll have to
explain.

I was thinking of the English sentence, "While I was translating for her, Qov
was in comprehending-mode."

This is a pretty marked usage in English, and I wanted to say something in
Klingon which preserved the "feeling" of the sentence.  (-ghach} does it
pretty well, if you leave out any intervening suffixes.  Remember, it's a
grammatical word, but highly marked.  I would never say the word {yajghach}
unless I was trying for a special grammatical effect, like I was this time.

"While I was translating for her, Qov permitted understandification."

I thought it conjured up the right effect.  (I didn't have a word for "mode"
or "configuration" that I could think of.)

DaH yaj'a' Hoch?

--
SuStel
qoH vuvbe' SuStel