tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 08 20:05:36 1997

Re: Quickie Question

|At 03:49 PM 9/8/97 -0700, David Barron wrote:
|
|>Dennis & Kim Orosz wrote:
|>> A friend has taken to using the word cha'wI as Lord siting "The Search
|>> for Spock" and David Barron as his reference's.  He also claims its in
|>> TKD,  Well I don't see this anywhere I look, and don't, particularly
|>> after reading KGT,  see it as a valid usage.  Am I incorrect and if so
|>> where is it referenced, or did he mishear David duting the visit to the
|>> KLAW folks in Florida?  David if your reading this do you recall the
|>> conversation and what was said.  Its not that I mind irritating my Line
|>> Lord :) but I'm already way down the promotion list! :)
|>
|>The word is <joHwI'>. <joH>, "lord" plus <-wI'>, type 4 noun suffix of
|>possesion of something which uses language.
|>
|>Suffice to say it was either mispronounced  or misheard.
|
|Or {jawwI'}, closer in sound to {cha'wI'} and also meaning "my lord."
|
|Qov  ([email protected])

Lordly matters are discussed in KGT on p. 40f (cf. also p. 198):

`The leader of a house is afforded the title {joH}, usually translated as
"Lord." This title is also used to refer to his wife, translated as "Lady."
If the title is used along with the name, one puts the name first, as is
the case with all titles: {Qugh joH} ("Lord Kruge"), {ghIrIlqa' joH} ("Lady
Grilka"). When addressing the head of a house, a member of a lower class
may use either the name plus {joH} or else {joH} plus {-wI'} ... {joHwI'}
("my Lord, my Lady"). This title also has an alternate form, {jaw}, which
is used from time to time with no known difference in meaning or
connotation, though {joH} is heard far more frequently.'

If your *{tuq DevwI'}/*epetai (to use two other options) insists on
pronouncing it {cha'wI}, you might casually inquire as to which region he
comes from as you don't recognize his accent.  Of couse if you do, you'll
never make the {naD tetlh} ("Commendation List") for sure.

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level