tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 08 18:52:48 1997

Re: 2 more Okrandian backfits

Scott D. Randel writes:
>As a Trekker for 27 years, I can't help but try to rationalize and fit
>everything we are presented with into the Star Trek universe.  Sure, I
>know these are just actors, but if Michael Dorn pronounces something a
>certain way while in character, then I'm going to assume that Worf
>said (will say?) it that way.  To a pragmatist, this no doubt seems
>silly and pedantic, but I like my escape from the real world to be as
>complete as possible.

*Escape* from the real world?  Where do you think we live? :-)

I don't study the Klingon language to escape from the real world.
It *is* a real language, after all.  I don't have to accept the
pseudo-French from Pepe' lePew as absolutely correct; he is only
an American voice portraying the speech of a fictional animated
French-speaking skunk.  Similarly, I don't have to accept the
pseudo-Klingon from a non-Klingon-speaking actor.  Real science
exists without having to incorporate Trek technobabble; the real
Klingon language exists for me without my having to incorporate
Trek lingua-babble.

I'm willing to let Marc Okrand have fun incorporating it for me,
though.  I admit, having {mova' 'aqI' ruStaq} etc. legitimized
does add some real "character" to the language. :-)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level