tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 07 20:12:29 1997

Re: The Unknown PK sentence -- At Last!

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 18:37:23 -0700 (PDT)  Marian Schwartz
<[email protected]> wrote:

> 	qoror here.  I've been taking things from the addendum in the back of
> KGT, and I just made a marvelous discovery.  We finally know what the sentence
> from the beginning of Power Klingon that we couldn't figure out was!  A new
> word, {qotlh}, "deserve, warrant."  So the sentence is: {bIyIntaH 'e'
> Daqotlhbe'.}  Go over it (I just did) and you'll find it makes perfect sense.
> "You do not deserve to keep living.  It fits in perfectly with the context, too.

I KNEW it! I KNEW it! I KNEW it was a new word meaning
"deserve". I wrote it a lot of times to this list and people
ignored me. At qep'a' loSDIch, I even asked Okrand about this
specifically saying that it sounded like a new word I couldn't
quite understand which probably meant "deserve", and he said he
didn't remember.

reH lugh charghwI' net SovnIS!

Well, much of the time, anyway...

> 	But in Okrandian style, I'll add a new question along with this answer.
> In the final sequence on PK, the Klingon says {De' pegh vIghaj}.  "I have secret
> information."  How is {pegh} being used?  Does it also mean "be a secret"?  Or
> is it just strange apposition?

Well, in canon, it has been used three ways:

adjectival meaning "secret":
PK: {De' pegh Sovlu'DI' chaq Do'Ha'}, secrecy proverb.

verb of quality meaning "be secret":
The jitney ride in "Conversational Klingon":
{Daqvam nuq}"What is this place?"
{pegh De'vetlh}"That is classified information.."

action verb meaning "keep a secret":
HolQeD v5n1p10: {pegh vIttlhegh} "A proverb keeps things
secret."

> Qapla'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level