tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 07 16:47:29 1997

Re: KLBC: *chat-room* tu'lu''a' ?

[email protected] on behalf of Qov wrote:
> At 03:14 PM 9/6/97 -0700, muHwI' wrote:
> >*room*vaD {pa'} vIpong
> >[for "room" I call it {pa'}]
>
> "For the purpose of the room I call/name {pa'}."
>
> Try {*room* vIpongmeH pa' jIjatlh}  "I say {pa'} to name the room.

While Qov's advice here is perfectly sound, muHwI''s original sentence is
actually correct, although not in exactly the way he thinks it is.

We have a canon sentence:

roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH.
It [Qo'noS] is usually referred to as simply "The Homeworld."

This might be a case of charghwI''s object shifting.  Or, it may just mean
that the natural object of {pong} is the name itself, whereas the thing named
is the indirect object.  (Or there may not be a difference between the two
interpretations.)

In any case, the sentence

*room*vaD {pa'} vIpong

means "I call a room {pa'}."