tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 05 05:35:22 1997

RE: KGT confirmations

>I happen to think Krankor is wrong: Klingon verbs DO have specific
>transitivity.  Certain verbs CANNOT take objects, and certain others MUST
take
>them (there's at least one in KGT; I can't remember what it is right now,
but
>I'm pretty sure it's there), even if it's just "things in general."

>Whether Klingon linguists care at all about actually classifying
transitive
>and intransitive verbs as such is something I can't speak to . . .

>--
>SuStel
>Stardate 97676.5

It does sound reasonable however I recall Marc saying, at qep'a' loSDIch
that there was no such thing as transitivity in Klingon.  If I recall
correctly he seemed somewhat perturbed that the issue was still coming up.
 Krankor seemed pleased.  I'm not exactly sure my recollection is correct
 though and I sure don't know how that fits in with the *seeming*
transitivity.  But then I'm not a linguist.

HetaQ

Back to archive top level